Thursday 16 April 2009

Biblio

I am not as well-read as many of my intellectual friends. I do not read as fast my fiance, my closest friend or his fiance, who are all book-gobblers. I do not have on my fingertips, a list of the greatest books of all time. Yet, I love books. I love looking at them, smelling them, or just being around them. Or them being around me. Like in Kinokuniya. Or Borders. My two favorite hanging-out places in Singapore. Or, Fully Booked in Rockwell or Serendra. Manila. I know I share this with my mom. She claims I got most of my grey matter from my dad. But, filling it up with dollops of letters, syllables, words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs from books is a habit I am sure I got from my mom. We both have this in-built homing device that can seek out a good bookstore in any shiny mall or dingy back alley. A good book and a better read are always the best tokens I could take home for her.

I have been reading a bit this year. I have consciously made time. Of course, every day low prices on Amazon UK is a blessing.

I could borrow from the excellent library network in Singapore (I discovered the Bukit Batok Community Library tentacle of the NLB octopus today). Or, rummage in used-book shops. But, I have started buying books. My fiance has decreed that the bookshelves at home will be stacked with classy hardcovers. A home library, of sorts.

Here is a good way to start:

Randomhouse 1

Or, here:

Randomhouse 2

I have started. With De Tocqueville's Democracy in America.

No comments: