Thursday 5 March 2009

Bananas

Just walked down to the store (took the lift and got introduced to Arindam Sengupta on the way down, actually) and bought the mandatory two bananas. I always buy two of them. One for right now. And, another in case there is a wild craving later. Also, bananas continue to ripen after plucking, as we know. So, not too many. And, always bananas. Handcarry, no plastic bags. Sometimes with Realfresh Orange Mango Nectar $1.80.

I love apples too. The only problem with them comes from my misaligned teeth. Apples and misaligned teeth don't get along very well. So, I need a knife. And, I have one stashed in my lower draw.

I am sure I have told some of you about my strict adherence to conventional fruits. My rather unconventional list includes mangoes, bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, watermelon, pineapples, jackfruit and papaya. That is all. Peaches, only under exceptional circumstances - for example, when she serves them up with some cream. What I am trying to say is - no longan, rambutan, durian, starfruit or dragonfruit for me. No, thank you. (Monthong durian chips is the only acceptable form of durian, because in this form, it is more jackfruit than durian.)

It's time to check how well the ban on plastic bags at home has been working. If we still have enough bags to wrap the storeroom twice over, that's not progress. Not after all the trash we have hauled out in those bags lately. I've heard from the company bulletin that cracker margins are collapsing. For those of you untainted, crackers make plastic makes shopping bags.

What's a good way to make progress? Setting targets, planning and acting - the first two being my great strengths, and the last, my single greatest weakness. Not letting the urgent take over the important, a la Leo McGarry. I was telling someone (while watching West Wing, AGAIN) - I would not be able to work for Leo McGarry. I just can't imagine being Josh, or Toby, or CJ, and having to put up with Leo. I could BE Leo McGarry, though. That's the beauty of dreams.

All this, just on the way to the bananas and back.

No comments: