Friday 27 March 2009

The Song Remains the Same

There is some terrible pain in my left ear. Infected, says the doc. As long as it clears before it's time to dive. Have you ever wondered why they are always labelled eye/ear drops? How is it that these two vital sensory organs share afflictions and cures? I remember the time when a certain medicinal liquid that went into my eye left a bitter aftertaste in the back of my throat. There must be a link somewhere. Maybe I should ask my doctor-to-be sister-in-law-to-be. She is coming to Singapore. A month-long attachment to SGH.

Holden Caulfield. Most of us know him. I love travelling by bus. Or, by train, for that matter. You get a chance to just watch everyone else, or maybe eavesdrop a little bit, or wonder what brings a sudden smile to the face of the twelve-year old in front of you. This morning, I knew what. She was speeding through her own copy of Catcher in the Rye (20% Borders discount). Brought me back 7 years...

It was a long weekend, and I was on an overnight train from Sydney to Melbourne. And, then on to Geelong. Somewhere during the night, I started reading about Holden Caulfield. By the time the train rolled into Geelong station at seven on a very cold winter morning, I still had a dozen or so pages left. I tried reading and walking at the same time. Didn't work. Sat down on the cold stone pavement on High Street, and finished the book just a moment before my ass froze over.

That is a five-on-five book.

No comments: