Friday 19 June 2009

Choice

I read another blog today. Let us say:

I wake up in a clearing in the middle of an infinite thicket that extends to the horizon in every direction. I have no clue how I got here. Does it matter? I do not know which way to head. I do not know if there is an end to the green, a way out to this end, and if I will ever find this way out. I wonder what I will find outside. If it will even be worth it.

There is only one thing I can do. I need to pick a direction. I need to find the means to hack through the brush, clearing enough to let me take one step at a time. Once in a while, the hacking won't work. I shift a little and hack again. I make progress, if that means anything. Sometimes, that's the best I can hope for.

I have to hack. Without a care for where I am heading. For now. I have to stand up. I have to tell myself that if I reach behind my back, I will find a sickle, miraculously tucked away just for this. I will not find out until I raise my hand.

I have to do it now. Or, the curiosity will drive me nuts.

Anyway. Take a break. Viet Nam. Cheap flights. I will go. July 25-26 or August 22-23.

No comments: