Thursday 6 August 2009

Degrees

Triathlon was good. I get to say that I completed a triathlon, when all I did was run 5 km without undue stress. I have a finisher's medal and a t-shirt to show for it. Mixed relay sprint triathlon. A swims 750 m in rough open sea, B cycles 20 km, and then, it's my turn to stroll. Clearly, I got the better end of the bargain. I won't complain given that someone died there the next day, swimming the olympic distance (may his soul rest in peace). Saw Danny Bhadran huffing and puffing by, in a different category. He lives two blocks from my place, I don't see him in two years, and we end up huffing and puffing at the same event. I really enjoyed meeting two random people from work, getting together as a team and cheering one another on. I can't describe how delirious we were when we finally saw our swimmer step on to solid ground or when we led our cyclist in at the end of her third lap. We finished 32nd in a group of 44 teams, but all we had set out to do was finish.

Istana was bad. First time I volunteered to go on an outing with a photography group (come on, Parth does not count as a group). It sucked. First, it was the day after my triathlon. Second, there was a one-hour queue to get in (to the Istana - would you believe it?). Third, there was absolutely nothing worth mentioning at the end of that queue, beyond those magical gates. Fourth, photography group consisted of one hot chick and a few exasperating male enthusiasts who could not resist throwing an unsolicited tip or two my way, every time they passed me by. Of course, they all had vastly superior kit. Almost every unsolicited tip involved getting more expensive kit (as if I did not already know that). And, it was so unbearably hot.

Bump on the head was (is) worse. Flagged a taxi at a traffic light. Rushed to get in. Left out a little bit of the skull just above the level of the taxi's roof. Ravi and I had a good laugh about it. This morning, boss scared the everything out of me, and insisted that I see a doctor. Doctor says all is well. Everything is still in the right place. There is not even a gash. All I need to do is not throw up in the next twenty-eight hours.

Long weekend ahead. Must... Buy expensive camera kit and take to Pulau Ubin. Meet high school buddies. Finish reading diving manual and dare to try fitting into old wetsuit. Swim. Resume cooking. Run in preparation for 6 km stroll. Do wedding stuff. Make Chiang Mai, Greece, Australia bookings. Watch World War 2 documentaries.

Does not seem very long now...

No comments: