Sunday 30 August 2009

Tyranny

The tyranny of the shopping mall.

Almost everyone I know agrees that ION Orchard is a mall with a truly hideous exterior. The architecture is tasteless and possibly ugly. Exclusive brand names that adorn the entrance serve as dissuasive sentries. Until this morning, I had not dared to step in. Finally, I summoned up the courage to enter and to wander about aimlessly.

I was crushed. There is not a single store occupying those few thousand square metres, where I can actually afford to buy something. In fact, most of those stores only sell things that I will NEVER be able and willing to pay for. I found myself frustrating a shop assistant who was watching over $200,000 clocks. I spotted a Marmalade Pantry outlet and was justifiably overjoyed... only to be completely crushed again. It was 1130 am, almost every table was empty, yet I was quietly informed that the next open reservation was at 230 pm. I was to queue up with ghosts.

I realised that I had to get out right away. And, I did. My feet carried me to the only refuge that could heal. The only store where I feel I WANT to possess the wares on display. Kinokuniya next door. All six volumes of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire are in stock in Everyman's Classic Hardcover.

That will be for another day.

No comments: