Friday 28 August 2009

Prejudice

I have been reading Democracy in America, de Tocqueville's epic political travelogue. It is a monumental read. I am beginning to realise why it is such a great book.

At times, I can't put it down. At other times, I can't seem to read more than a few pages at a time, simply due to the sheer weight of content. Clearly, it is not the easiest of evening lounge reads. It is rigorous political discourse, full of contemplation, speculation and opinion.

Sometimes, I wonder if it is the kind of book I would write. Not for the depth of expertise, the keenness of observation, or the quality of writing, but for the conviction with which he blatantly defends some of his prejudices. To be fair, most of them are just prejudices of time and place, which we may slight thanks to the benefit of hindsight.

And, of course, there is the evident Wanderlust.

No comments: